Our bedroom was looking a little sad, so I decided to create a headboard for us. It was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be.
- Wood - cut to the size at the Home Depot or Lowes
- Brackets - to attach the headboard to the wall.
- Foam - sold by the yard at Joann
- Batting - also sold by the yard at Joann
- Fabric - a ton of choices in fabric stores
- Decorative nails
- Staple gun
These are 7 steps to DIY headboard heaven:
1. Measure, measure, measure! Everything - from the size you want your headboard to be to the trunk of your car - I ended up buying smaller pieces of wood, so that they would fit in the car.
This meant I had to attach the pieces of wood with brackets before hand. Also, make sure to measure the fabric and batting, to leave enough of an edge to fold back and staple.
2. Layer! Create layers with the fabric at the very bottom, followed by the batting, then foam. Make sure they are all squared away and there are no gaps on the foam pieces.
3. Set the wood plank! Again, make sure everything is centered and that the fabric is straight and there are no folds.
4. Pull tight and staple!
5. Add your trim!
6. Attach the brackets to the back of the board and to the wall. Again, measuring here is paramount!
7. Hang it to the wall!
And voila - Here is our new room!
Have you ever done a headboard? Share your pictures here!